We were given a task by our diet coach and it was to create traditional recipes (that are usually high on calories with loads of oil and ghee) without any or with just a little added fat. While everyone was coming up with their ideas and recipes I challenged myself to make Biryani without a drop of oil or ghee and I successfully managed to make this Zero Oil Biryani. Yayy! 🙂 You can use brown rice for even lower calorie version but as I was short of time and brown rice take a little extra time to cook I used plain basmati rice.
Zero Oil Biryani Recipe
6 pieces Chicken
1 cup fine long grain Rice
3 large Onions
2 large Tomatoes
1/2 cup low fat Yogurt
1 tbsp Ginger-garlic Paste
2 tbsps Biryani Masala
1/4th cup skimmed Milk
1/2 tsp Saffron
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the rice in about 5 cups water in a large vessel.
2. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees. Line a baking tray with wax paper.
3. Slice the onions and spread on the wax paper and place in the oven. Lower the temperature at about 150 degrees and set the timer for 30 minutes. Keep moving the onions after every 10 minutes.
4. Clean and wash the chicken. Cut the tomatoes finely and mix with yogurt and ginger garlic paste in a large bowl. Add biryani masala and salt and let the chicken marinate in this mixture. Don’t forget to cover the bowl with plastic wrap or lid.
5. Boil about 1.5L water in large pot adding 1tsp salt. When it starts boiling add in the rice and boil till tender yet whole then strain.
6. Mix the crispy brown onions in chicken mixture and take all the marinade in a non stick wok and cook till the masala is dry.
7. Soak the saffron in hot milk.
8. arrange the layers of masala and rice in deep baking dish, pour over the saffron milk and bake covered for 10 minutes at 200 degrees.
You can also arrange the layers in a pot and cook on stove top at very low flame with tight lid.
9. Serve with green raita.
Note: If you’re using store bought biryani masala, make sure your brand doesn’t have any added oil.