Just another popular liver recipe. It cab made dry and onion rings can be used as topping or you can make gravy by using pan drippings and by simmering all the ingredients.
Liver And Onions Recipe
1 lb of Beef Liver
1 Large Onion (sliced into rings)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Cup Flour
½ Cup Shortening or Oil for frying.
(All three as per taste)
(You may soak the liver slices in milk for about 20 minutes to help remove somewhat bitter taste of the liver if desired. Do this before proceeding with the recipe.)
1. Place liver in a colander and drain.
Carefully spread liver pieces out in a pan, set aside.
2. Remove ends and skin from onion. Slice into rings to desired thickness.
3. Heat a skillet to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter.
4. Add sliced onions to the skillet. Fry onions until translucent & slightly brown, keep stirring as needed (browining of onions require about 15-20 minutes.)
5. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.
6. Set up a dredge station by placing flour in a dish or bowl.
7. Sprinkle liver with Salt, Black Pepper and Paprika to taste.
8. Dredge liver pieces in flour, coating both sides. Shake off any excess and set aside.
9. Heat oil in the same skillet and let warm up for about 3 minutes.
10. Place liver slices in skillet, brown the bottom for about 3-4 minutes.
Flip liver slices over, let brown about 3 more minutes, do not over cook. (You may cut a slice of the liver to test for doneness.)
11. Use the pan drippings to make a gravy. Place almost cooked liver slices and the onions back in the pan, cover and simmer together for about 15 minutes. You can add some more salt and pepper and optionally any sauce of your choice ( to create your own flavour) at this stage. Serve warm over rice or with a side of mashed potatoes.