The best party or iftaar food that can be served as a main dish with butter naan, raita and salad or just as a starter with lemon wedges over lettuce leaves. The succulent chicken pieces are grilled on direct flame to give smoky punch and the aroma is so tempting that you just can’t resist having the tikka.
Chicken Tikka Recipe
½ kg Boneless chicken
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon ginger and garlic paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt as per taste
Oil for grilling tikkas
For tikka masala:
2-3 dried red chillies
1 teaspoon cumin
10-12 black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
1”x2 pieces of cinnamon
4-5 cardamom pods
1/4th teaspoon saffron
- In a nonstick pan dry roast all the ingredients for tikka masala, except saffron, till fragrant.
- Grind the roasted spices in a coffee grinder along with the saffron.
- Clean, wash and cut the chicken into 2 inch cubes.
- Take yogurt in a large bowl and add all the ingredients i.e. ginger garlic paste, lemon juice ground masala one by one mix well and add in the chicken. Sprinkle salt as per taste and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile wash and soak wooden skewer in water for 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Skewer the chicken pieces and grill on wire grill. Keep turning and pouring little oil every 10 seconds till the chicken is cooked well.
- Alternately, you can grill the tikkas in oven. For this you need to add oil to the marinade before grilling and then grill in the oven as per your oven directions.
- Serve with green salad and mint raita.