The recipe may sound a bit hectic and ‘oh no! A lot of work’ kind, but believe me the results are worth the efforts. Just follow the steps carefully and stay patient throughout process. You can make filling of your choice but I like this one, it goes just great with the crispy covering.
350 grams all purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter (at room temperature)
1 teaspoon salt
Water for kneading
200 grams chicken breast (boneless)
1 hardboiled egg
1/2 cup boiled sweetcorn
1 medium sized green bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoon hot and sweet tomato sauce
½ teaspoon black pepper powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Salt as per taste
Flour for rolling + 1 teaspoon for making paste with 2 tablespoon water
- Beat the egg well with butter and salt and add in the flour. Mix well with rubber spatula then start kneading with water till it makes stiff dough. Keep the bowl covered with cling film.
- Proceed to make filling.
- Boil and shred the chicken and keep aside. Hard boil an egg and chop it finely.
- Heat oil in a wok and add ginger and garlic paste, red chili powder, black pepper powder, oregano, hot and sweet sauce and sauté for a minute then add chicken and egg, sweet corn and bell pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and sprinkle salt and coriander leaves. Remove from the burner and let it cool.
- After it has cooled down add mayonnaise and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Now make strips from the dough. It’s kind of a task but fun at the time. Divide the dough in golf ball size portions and roll out each portion, with the help of some dry flour, as thin as you can (up to 8cm circle discs). Then apply oil on one disc, sprinkle some flour and place another disc. Stick at least four discs like this at a time roll slightly. Repeat with the remaining dough. Heat a flat pan and lightly roast the discs so that it becomes easy to separate the strips.
- Cut these discs into 2.5 cm broad strips and immediately cover the strips with a clean kitchen napkin to protect them from drying.
- Now place one strip over another making ‘+’ sign and put 1 teaspoon filling exactly at the center (where the strips make a ‘+’) and roll them to make a box. Stick the ends with flour paste. Repeat till you are done with all the filling and flour.
- Deep fry the boxes till golden and serve with dip of your choice.